Materialize Theme and Components -...

User 2861890 Photo

34 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
WOW a theme that's just [acked full up of components, and instructions on how to use them

No. It is a theme that has the code for components, but no instructions how to MAKE them into components. Once you make them into components, that website browser display (not theme - you can't find the component instructions in the theme itself, easily), perhaps you can use them as components. I don't know, as I'm not yet to the point of having components from the components I just purchased this theme to get.

The actual Materialize website has a lot of information on using the Materialize framework. I've been using it more than SD3, so far, to get my head around the MF (that's "Materialize Framework".... you'd think someone would think about the shorthand for something before they name it).

As to the orgainization of the tips and training, there have been two things here that pop out to me: 1. When I searched for "how to make components," without success, I was told here (Thanks, Ernie!) that it was found from WITHIN SD3's Help menu drop down.So much for a websearch using "site:coffeecup.com" as one of the terms for finding help. Yes. I can see how finding it from the help menu is logical, however...

...2. To find out how to make components, I have to go to a user's site (which I have not yet done. Timezones are wonderful things).

Good news: CoffeeCup is actually reading this thread, because I just got an email with a great link for learning SD3. Between that and the Materialize site, I think I'll be OK.

Bad news: Not CofffeCup, but MF: Their color pallette is horrendous, and you cannot easily customize colors. I will be looking at this, and moving some components out (once I sit down with Inger's link and SD3; on my other machine), and finally, I'll see about writing some code to allow you to easily cusomize colors with RGB values. Try to get a button that's not "Teal" and that you can apply, say, "wave effect" to with a similar non-teal color. I'll wait. You can do this using the built-in colors, which are reminiscent of Playskool or Fisher-Price toys, but try to make a color that's not included. I'm doing a High School site right now, and they want the site to use their school colors. What a concept! Hey, Google! How about a global color pallette rather than your long and tedious list of specific colors. You know, something where I can just give you some RGB values and call them "color1, color2, color 3?" Instead, I get preschool primary colors and some nice colors for the visually impaired. https://materializecss.com/color.html Those are the ONLY colors you can easily use in Materialize.

Anyway, it looks like MF might not be as bad as one might think. It's clunky and not user-friendly, but so far, it's no worse than bootstrap or foundation, that I can see.

Sorry for the rant. I need to sleep more, I think.
User 2699991 Photo

4,885 posts
Online Now

DonM wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:
WOW a theme that's just [acked full up of components, and instructions on how to use them

No. It is a theme that has the code for components, but no instructions how to MAKE them into components. Once you make them into components, that website browser display (not theme - you can't find the component instructions in the theme itself, easily), perhaps you can use them as components. I don't know, as I'm not yet to the point of having components from the components I just purchased this theme to get.

The actual Materialize website has a lot of information on using the Materialize framework. I've been using it more than SD3, so far, to get my head around the MF (that's "Materialize Framework".... you'd think someone would think about the shorthand for something before they name it).

As to the orgainization of the tips and training, there have been two things here that pop out to me: 1. When I searched for "how to make components," without success, I was told here (Thanks, Ernie!) that it was found from WITHIN SD3's Help menu drop down.So much for a websearch using "site:coffeecup.com" as one of the terms for finding help. Yes. I can see how finding it from the help menu is logical, however...

...2. To find out how to make components, I have to go to a user's site (which I have not yet done. Timezones are wonderful things).

Good news: CoffeeCup is actually reading this thread, because I just got an email with a great link for learning SD3. Between that and the Materialize site, I think I'll be OK.

Bad news: Not CofffeCup, but MF: Their color pallette is horrendous, and you cannot easily customize colors. I will be looking at this, and moving some components out (once I sit down with Inger's link and SD3; on my other machine), and finally, I'll see about writing some code to allow you to easily cusomize colors with RGB values. Try to get a button that's not "Teal" and that you can apply, say, "wave effect" to with a similar non-teal color. I'll wait. You can do this using the built-in colors, which are reminiscent of Playskool or Fisher-Price toys, but try to make a color that's not included. I'm doing a High School site right now, and they want the site to use their school colors. What a concept! Hey, Google! C Those are the ONLY colors you can easily use in Materialize.

Anyway, it looks like MF might not be as bad as one might think. It's clunky and not user-friendly, but so far, it's no worse than bootstrap or foundation, that I can see.

Sorry for the rant. I need to sleep more, I think.

It is a theme that has the code for components, but no instructions how to MAKE them into components

don't know about you but I read this section on the themes home page

NOT SURE HOW TO ADD COMPONENTS TO THE LIBRARY?
It's as simple as 1-2-3! Just select the component you want to add by clicking on it. Then make sure the item’s parent container is selected by going to the Element pane. The components are placed in a Container with a class that describes them — as in the case below .mega-menu-component.

Site Designer Components Selection
Then go to the Components tab on the Content pane and click on the big Create component from selection button. This will place the Component on the pane with a preview as you see below. Now you can give the component a name and place it in the library by clicking the Share button (circled in red below).

Site Designer Components Dialog
That's it. Now this design component can be used in any of your projects that use the awesome Materialize framework!

I haven't had any trouble making the components in the theme into components in my resources

What a concept! Hey, Google! How about a global color pallette rather than your long and tedious list of specific colors. You know, something where I can just give you some RGB values and call them "color1, color2, color 3?" Instead, I get preschool primary colors and some nice colors for the visually impaired. https://materializecss.com/color.html Those are the ONLY colors you can easily use in Materialize.

what's it got to do with Google

their color pallette is horrendous, and you cannot easily customize colors.

piece of cake with coffee cups colour palette manager

I get preschool primary colors and some nice colors for the visually impaired. https://materializecss.com/color.html Those are the ONLY colors you can easily use in Materialize.

again piece of cake with CC colour pallette manager
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … uman-lina/
User 556652 Photo

152 posts

@DonM

Can you share that "great Link"??

34 posts

lwetzel wrote:
Can you share that "great Link"??

It was the same link Ernie suggested above. But from the information in this thread, I have been able to start exporting components to the library. Also, with these, I no longer need Google's Materializecss.com site. I've got the landing page well started and the new components are making the set up a breeze.

Materialize, along with the components, make SD3 easier to use than I have found with Bootstrap and Foundation. Once again, it's personal preference, but I think I'll be using Materialize as my go-to framework, especially due to the components that came with it.

Thanks to Inger, Ernie, and everyone else who chimed in. I no longer feel like I'm floundering with this set up.
User 1907404 Photo

18 posts

I purchased the Matco theme. I was of the understanding that the Components would automatically go in the components section of Site Designer 3. I am new to this. Exporting Components to library. Where is the library located?
User 2699991 Photo

4,885 posts
Online Now

Noor Mohamed wrote:
I purchased the Matco theme. I was of the understanding that the Components would automatically go in the components section of Site Designer 3. I am new to this. Exporting Components to library. Where is the library located?

Read the instructions on the Home Page Of The Theme, To see How You Put Components Into The Library

eg
It's as simple as 1-2-3 Just select the component you want to add by clicking on it. Then make sure the item’s parent container is selected by going to the Element pane. The components are placed in a Container with a class that describes them — as in the case below .mega-menu-component.

Then go to the Components tab on the Content pane and click on the big Create component from selection button. This will place the Component on the pane with a preview as you see below. Now you can give the component a name and place it in the library by clicking the Share button (circled in red below).

That's it. Now this design component can be used in any of your projects that use the awesome Materialize framework!
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … uman-lina/
User 1907404 Photo

18 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
Noor Mohamed wrote:

Read the instructions on the Home Page Of The Theme, To see How You Put Components Into The Library

eg
It's as simple as 1-2-3 Just select the component you want to add by clicking on it. Then make sure the item’s parent container is selected by going to the Element pane. The components are placed in a Container with a class that describes them — as in the case below .mega-menu-component.

User 1907404 Photo

18 posts

Inger wrote:
Ernie, and anybody else who is wondering about components and login (in general, not specifically regarding Materialize), take a look at my sharing site. www.eikweb.com/sharing , and look at the bottom of the left column, above all the building blocks, see the link. I have a how-to about creating and using components, also about the login.

Your link under download of 'Basic, collapsible menu, Materialize' under www.eikweb.com/sharing does not work. Error 404 for MA
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,475 posts
Online Now

Sorry, it's a typo. I'm not at home right now, but I will correct it ASAP. The correct URL is
https://www.eikweb.com/sharing/ma-basic.rsd

Thanks for reporting it. :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 442930 Photo

21 posts

Thanks for that!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.