Post your new ideas here! - Page 13 -...

User 100536 Photo

2 posts

J. Cornelius wrote:
Bruce,

The best thing to do is install the browsers you want to develop for. That way you're not depending on any service, you can preview pages locally, and you begin to learn the quirks of each browser. It's always best to view things with your own eyes.

Just fyi: I have Firefox 3.5, Firefox 2, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and Webkit installed on my OS X machine, then IE8, IE7, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on my Vista and Windows 7 machines. Yes, it's a lot of browser testing, but that's the best way to make sure things work the way you want.

Note: I didn't list IE6 anywhere. ;)

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply. I, like most users I expect, only use CC HTML editor to support a few sites of my own and for a couple of tax exempt orgs. I can't justify having all the browsers that are commonly used loaded and I want to be able to quickly check the appearance of my sites without uploading the files to a working site. Can I upload to a service like browsershots.org by referencing a temp file on my computer? You might add information about such services to your help files at any rate.
User 597929 Photo

1,332 posts

Sorry, Bruce, you have to have a published URL for browsershots. I make temp folders on my main web host server and test publish working files there whenever I create or modify a site, the upload only takes seconds and nothing beats seeing the results "in the wild." That's especially true when I'm adding PHP or Flash functionality.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinland.biz
User 2034657 Photo

64 posts

Rob wrote:
I have been caught in VSD out when loading a project/website and the ftp client doesn't update to the current website. Then I make my edits and upload, only to find it's to the wrong website! Could you store the last ftp client used with a project a and load that when the project is loaded?

Also, as a convenience, could FireStarter remember the directory of the last opened file please?

My suggestion is somewhat related to the issue raised by Rob. When uploading with VSD, or any software for that matter, it would be nice to have a confirmation dialog box appear when the user clicks on the Upload button that would ask the developer if they want to upload to the particular site that is currently being used in the FTP Settings. I am in the process of working on four differeent sites concurrently, and on more than one occasion, without thinking, I have clicked on the Upload button only to discover that I have uploaded files from Client A to the server for Client B. Such a mistake causes big problems as you can expect.

A confirmation dialog box that displays the current site in the FTP Settings would help to prevent this mistake from occurring. For those developers who don't need this confirmation, you could include a check box on the confirmation dialog box to prevent the confirmation dialog from appearing in the future.

Regards,
John H.

1,392 posts

John wrote:

My suggestion is somewhat related to the issue raised by Rob. When uploading with VSD, or any software for that matter, it would be nice to have a confirmation dialog box appear when the user clicks on the Upload button that would ask the developer if they want to upload to the particular site that is currently being used in the FTP Settings. I am in the process of working on four differeent sites concurrently, and on more than one occasion, without thinking, I have clicked on the Upload button only to discover that I have uploaded files from Client A to the server for Client B. Such a mistake causes big problems as you can expect.

A confirmation dialog box that displays the current site in the FTP Settings would help to prevent this mistake from occurring. For those developers who don't need this confirmation, you could include a check box on the confirmation dialog box to prevent the confirmation dialog from appearing in the future.

Regards,

Yes I think thats a very necessary feature to have on all the programs.

I have been caught several times on SCC and uploaded one store over another and it causes all sorts of problems and a fair amount of time in fixing it... so to have that confirmation box would be very helpful.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,475 posts

It's not the first time we've been asking for this particular feature in VSD. We'd better keep asking ;)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Inger Eik wrote:
It's not the first time we've been asking for this particular feature in VSD. We'd better keep asking ;)

We've asked for this for all programs a few times actually. One of the great things I love about the Form Builder is because it brings up that window that shows you exactly where it's going and makes you confirm it. I think it's the only program that I've come across so far that has that built in and I'd love to see it added like that to the rest of the programs that have ftp capabilities.
User 445268 Photo

11 posts

I would like to see an eBook cover designer program. Most of the stuff out there is either horrendously expensive or junk. thanks Ed
User 2060431 Photo

7 posts

There is a image mapper within the HTML editor (which is great). How about adding an image slicer as well?
Do your absolute best. No exceptions.
User 128717 Photo

31 posts

I haven't search on this forum but if there has been suggested I will do it again. We need a program like photoshop and I know you guys are capable of this and more.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,076 posts

Nikki wrote:
There is a image mapper within the HTML editor (which is great). How about adding an image slicer as well?

Image Viewer actually includes and image slicing utility.
http://www.coffeecup.com/image-viewer/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.